X152: Learning Strategies for the New College Student
Special topic: New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina
A small (10-19 students), 8 week seminar designed to rapidly build college-level best practices so students are ready to succeed as readers, writers, and critical thinkers. (2 credits)
- Breaking down and understanding scholarly writing
- Interpreting and assessing arguments
- Writing arguments and taking a stand on important issues.
- Connecting written arguments to specific evidence and sources
- Formulating answers for the “big questions” from a variety of sources
- Discussing controversial topics and opposing viewpoints
- Best Practices for reading, writing, discussion, studying and test-taking
Students will develop transferable skills that will prepare them for college level classes – especially those based on reading, writing, and argument construction (such as English W131).